Sunday, February 04, 2007

The London Eye

Valentines day fast approaches and I noticed this weekend that the London Eye had gone red! I have to say I was really pleased I had my trusty camera in my handbad so made a slight detour round to the river bank and snapped a few photos for you. The traffic was a nightmare as Stamford street was shut due to a burst watermain...such a joy on any London street but at rush hour on a Friday it was just awful. I don't know if someone has forgotten to take the blue Christmas type lights down from the trees near to the Eye but there they are, all twinkling and bright still and perhaps clashing a little with the red lights of the Eye?

If you have not been on a "flight" on the London Eye then you really should try to go. I wonder why the rides are called "flights"? Probably due to the fact that British Airways are something to do with it all eh! My first "flight" was when the Eye opened and it was such an unseasonally hot day. As the pods are like mini greenhouses we were met with the fact the airconditioning had failed and were told that we could use our tickets and go back another time. The children were so excited that we decided to go on. It was a worthwhile, if not hot, 30 mintues and we all enjoyed the views. We were blessed with the fact it was a very clear day and we could see for miles while we melted. We have since been back several times and have even taken a night "flight" and I have to say that is really, really lovely.

4 comments:

angela said...

Lovely photo and the Eye is pretty in red.
I'll pass on the flight, though, as everytime I climb in a ski lift/chair whatever it has a power cut.
People should pay me to stay off...now there's a business opportunity.
Angela

Loui (and his mum!) said...

I know what you mean Angela as I am not a fan of such things either but I had to do it at least the once. The view is just wonderful!

J x

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

The London Eye was a fantastic experience, we did it back in 2004! It was scary because it was very windy but wonderful to see the beautiful landmarks!

Jeannie xxxxx

Gaƫlle said...

The Eye looks great in red!