Sunday, February 11, 2007

London maps circa 1890's

I have been discovering London back in the late 1890's. Some of the areas we now consider affluent were infact very poor places to live back then. I was born and bred right in the centre of London and in an area that is now considered to be very trendy indeed. Back at the turn of the century not only was it a different place it was also very poor. I was fascinated to find this web site that showed maps I had previously seen at the Museum of London but didn't get the time to look at properly.

If you are a Londoner or know different areas why not check and see what it was like back then.

Let me know what you find!

4 comments:

angela said...

My family lived for a time in Woolwich around about 1860/70 so it's interesting to learn about how places have changed. I once read a novel set in the Seven Dials area which if I remember correctly was behind Oxford Street, another very poor area.
Has the snow gone?
Angela

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Hey, they are some good links there, when I am feeling better I will check them out!

How interesting this site is!

Now back to the kleenex!

Jeannie xxxxxxxxx

Loui (and his mum!) said...

Angela....I found the maps so interesting and just keep going back to them. Yes, the snow has all gone now. I'm sad in one way as it is fun but not if you have to drive etc!

J x

Jeanie....I thought you might like these maps. They will show up areas I know you are interested in. Hope you feel better soon!

J x

Jean said...

Lovely photos and interesting write-ups. Keep up the good work!