Saturday, February 17, 2007

Not London I know but I just have to share this with you!

Lake Windermere at Ambleside!

We have been for a half term break up to the Lake District. For anyone who has never been let me tell you this is the most beautiful place. It has contrasts of complete beauty and then of nature at it's maddest. The actual Lakes are so calming and restful that I think I could sit by the side of one of them all day every day. The mountains on the other hand are something else. Awesome and dead frightening at the same time.

This was taken while sitting on the side of the Lake at Ambleside. I thought it was a complete picture postcard moment so took the photo and was delighted with the outcome. My new camera has been all I wanted and more.

Now this next photo can only tell you of the fear I was about to be met with. You can see in the far background the mountain that we were about to drive up. At the top are the very famous Wrynose and Hardknott passes. To say they are steep is a complete understatement and if I told you I screamed all the way up and then all they way down would you believe me? Trust me, you need to as I did! At some points the car was on three wheels as we weaved our way up the steep and twisty track.

This photo was taken nearly at the top of Wrynose Pass and it seems quite flat don't you think? Trust me, that was just a rare bit of on the level road. Those sheep must be tough and very fit to get up there too!

This photo was taken at the top of Wrynose Pass. That had to be the most beautiful place ever. It was so quiet you could hear the silence. The stream was fast flowing and the water made that wonderful babbling sound. I could have stayed up there for hours but the thought of having to drive back down again filled me with terror! I honestly felt as if I was on top of the world. From the top of the next pass you can see the Irish sea!

At last....the descent! Why is it that the passenger side breaks never seem to work?!

A beautiful place to visit and we will certainly be going back but I think the Passes will get missed out.

3 comments:

angela said...

Stunning photos and it looks as if you had great weather too..
The roads: nerve wracking though it is I insisit on being the driver so I get the brakes.
Angela

Eugene Salomon said...

Lovely pictures! That sign with the exclamation point will certainly get your attention, won't it?

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

May I ask what camera you are using, it takes (well you take!) very good pictures. I am about to have a birthday, so any ideas would be good for hinting to the football obsessed husband! You have my email address, so a clue would be good!

We stayed a few years back in Boness on Windermere, but like you, out of season, best time to vist the lakes.

oh and I know this is not very cultural, but did you visit the Lakeland Shop.......wow, it was a hausfrau paradise and a brilliant cafe! Also we had a lovely meal at a hotel alongside one of the lakes, but for the life of me cannot remember the name, will let you know for the next time you go! They like dogs so Loui would be fine!

take care, I have enjoyed looking at your blog very much!

Jeannie xxxx