Saturday, March 24, 2007

The George Inn

Now this is a wonderful place tucked away on Borough High Street, more or less opposite the market. You could easily miss it and it would be such a shame to do that. The Inn is the last remaining galleried inn in London so another reason that you must not miss visiting there. The inn has been on this site since the 17th century. Charles Dickens and Shakespeare were visitors and there are mentions of the inn in some of their books.

Today the inn attracts visitors from all over the world. It is so close to other attractions in the area and it is really a place not to miss out on seeing and having a pint or two in.

Here are 2 photos taken around 1900 and you can see horses were still being used in the courtyard! The National Trust now own the property and as you can see too, there has been a great deal of restoration going on.

5 comments:

Eugene Salomon said...

Here in the States we think of something as ancient if it's over 100 years old. I love all these REALLY old London places.

Loui (and his mum!) said...

If you ever get over here I'll take you round to see a few!

J x

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

I certainly would not want to miss The George Inn, it looks so interesting plus the added attraction of a "pint or two".....cheers!

London Lover Jeannie xxxxx

angela said...

Yes that's it.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I only ever went twice but I never forgot it.
I must say that it looks smarter now.
Angela

Mum said...

Hi Loui & His Mum, It's been a long time since I've been to London, and I really want to go back! I was born in the states to an English father and American mother, I've been to England several times now. It's funny, even though I grew up in the states I always feel at home when I visit.