Sunday, March 18, 2007

London Zoo

I recently had reason to visit the Zoo and have to say I had a really nice day!
Oddly enough there was a monkey on the loose as it had escaped and it ran right infront of us. Sadly by the time I had found my camera in the bottom of my bag and got it sorted out it had gone. Now that really added extra fun to the day. We laughed even more when it went up the biggest tree in the Zoo and just there it sat. Soon there were helicopters overhead and men with rope nets running about and the whole area was cut off to the public. I don't think he had come down before we left!

As a child I lived very close to the Zoo and so would often visit there. We loved to see the Chimpanzee's tea parties. Every day at 2pm out would come the chimps all dressed in their Sunday best and there they would sit drinking tea with their little fingers cocked up in the air. The party soon used to turn into a bun fight with the chimps throwing cakes and the cups at each other and the audience! As children we used to love that. Now as adults perhaps we can all question if that was right or wrong to do that to the chimps.

The penguin enclosure was a place I would always head for. Sadly no penguins live in it and they are now over in a smaller enclosure. Feeding time was always such a pleasure to stand and watch. The lions and tigers were sadly all fast asleep, probably bored out of their heads. I do think it's sad to see them there and would like to think that they get swapped around with the animals at Whipsnade. That way they would be able to run free and at least get exercise. What a boring life for them!

Sadly I now question if animals as big as those should be captive in such a manner. They have no quality of life and must be bored rigid.

London Zoo is worth a visit and the kids will love it. There are some new enclosures and things to see so make sure you don't miss them!

2 comments:

angela said...

I'm not normally a big supporter of zoos because, as you say, the animals are living in captivity usually in very different environments. However zoos have become more sensitive to the needs of animals recently and with species becoming extinct sometimes the zoo can save them.
Angela
PS Glad you had a good day out though!

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

oooooh you brought back some memories there, Loui's Mum, I remember seeing the Chimps Tea Party but I think it was at Bristol Zoo, way back in the 60s sometime. What a laugh it was!

I went to London Zoo when I was very small, long long ago, my uncle took me. They lived near Lewisham, and we walked.....can you believe that into London and took in all the sights.

lovely to remember this stuff!

Jeannie xxxx