Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Blustons...the oldest womens clothing shop ever???

Blustons has been on Kentish Town road for more years than I care to remember. My mum and even my nan said it had been there for longer than they could remember too! I would think that Blustons has been in the same place for getting on for 70 years if not more. Every well to do "mature" lady would go there to get an "outfit" for some special event. As a child I can remember my neighbour going there to buy all her clothes. When I met up with the said neighbour about 4 years ago at a funeral she was still wearing her "Blustons" look and it amused me no end.

As you can see the clothes are set out in a very special way and the window must take hours and hours to dress to get the look right. There are special wire dummies that are used to stand the clothes on and they have always have pointed boobs that would always amuse me as a small child. As I got older they still amused me and my teenage friends on the way to school. Who ever had boobs that pointed!

The clothes are now all very dated and I doubt there are many ladies around who would wear them now. I think they still sell stockings and the old fashioned "under garment" as worn in the 30's probably. I imagine the shop does very little business nowdays but isn't it a complete gem here in Kentish Town and so near to the centre of London.

3 comments:

Eugene Salomon said...

I happen to be of the opinion that any boob is a good boob, pointed or otherwise. :)

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

well, I think this store is definitely the one for me! Pointed boobs or not, the styles you have featured are mine, alllll mine!

Love these unusual posts! and the pictures, quite fasinating!

love and light J xxxxxx in Scotland xxxxxxx

angela said...

I've seen a similar shop in Antibes. You wonder who the custmers are, don't you?
I love the frontage..

g.s. LOL.

Angela